Friday, January 7, 2011

Happy FIFTH Birthday Presley

Presley, my sweet, sweet Presley.

Four years and 364 days ago, Daddy and I went out for sushi with friends. It was one week before you were due on January, Friday the 13th, 2006.  I remember I was wearing a black wool turtleneck sweater that covered my humongous pregnant belly, low rise dark blue jeans (not maternity jeans I might add... don't hate), and black high heeled boots. The friends so happened to be Chad and Katie, who you know now know as Annemarie's mommy and daddy. We all went back to the townhouse Daddy and I had at the time to hang out a bit more. I was laying on the couch, trying desperately to pretend I was not falling asleep, when I felt a very weird popping sensation. My heart started pounding and I shot up and ran to the bathroom, but after an uneventful minute or so, I figured I must have imagined it. I walked into the kitchen, and there, in front of everyone,  a huge gush of "water," more water than I ever could have imagined was being held in my belly, was all over the kitchen floor.

The contractions started immediately, and at about 2-3 minutes apart.  You were coming much, much quicker than I thought possible for my first birth. I had only partially packed my hospital bag, and Katie ran upstairs to help me finish. I remember her laughing because I was trying to find my straightening iron in the midst of the contractions (girls with hair like me go nowhere, and I mean, NO WHERE, without their CHI).

I won't go into the details of the L&D with you just yet, but I will tell you this. I was TERRIFIED of the process. My entire life, it was something I dreaded having to do. Had I known what I know now, that terror would have never esisted.  Bringing you into this world was the best, most amazing, meaningful, and profound thing I had ever experienced.  The physical pain and mental endurance it took was unimportant and forgotten the split second I became a mom for the very first time.

I just feel like you should know this story of your birth... I don't want you growing up in fear of something that is in fact... incredibly beautiful.  I want you to look forward to that moment when you become a mom and your heart grows a thousand times bigger.

Love you my dear.



This is who you are at five years old:

1) Affectionate. Soooooooo sweet and affectionate. I hear "I love you Mommy" or "I love you all the way to God and Jesus and back," at least twice a day from you. It is almost always the first thing that comes of your mouth in the morning. Of course, sometimes, in the thrust of a meltdown-over-nothing-because-that's-what-kids-do, I hear "I don't love you!" which is sometimes followed by "and you are NOT coming to my birthday party!! or "I'm going to live with Nanni!!" (I thought I had those outbursts to look forward to when you were a teenager?) But I know you don't mean it. Which leads me to your next quality.

2) Despite being so sweet, you sometimes have quite the temper. Daddy and I call it the "doe-ee-bird rage" (you DO know this business is  the nickname we have for you right?). Luckily, that rage does not rear its ugly head too often... but when it does- whoaaaaaaaaa- watch out world!

3) Generous- the very act of giving is more important to you than any material possession. Yesterday, I allowed you to pick out a ceramic piggy bank as your birthday present. You and your siblings have wanted new ceramic piggy banks for a very long time... at our house, there seems to be a trail of previously owned and quickly broken swine, and I refused to buy new ones. But since you so earnestly asked for one for this very important fifth birthday, I allowed you to pick one out. As soon as we brought it home to show Kaylee, you noticed the look of yearning in her eyes and the catch in her voice as she admired it. Without a second thought or any hesitation at all, you gave it to her.

4) Funny. Really stinkin funny. You crack me up on a daily basis.  You told me just this week, in your sweet little four year old voice that still pronounces "r"s like "w"s- "Mommy, for my sixth buwfday, I want to have a pawty in the dawk, where ev-we-one is naked. OK?"



5) Shy. You are more like I was as a kid than your dad (who was likely born crazy and outgoing). You take a while to warm up to new people and situations and they usually have to earn your trust.  But once they have it, WOW- you are just as sweet and affectionate as ever. Bringing presents and cards to your teachers that you love is a weekly occurrence.

And oh, you are SO camera shy. Out of all my kids, you like getting your picture taken the least. I have to catch you in the right mood, at the right time, or else its a no go.  Totally unlike Emily, Kaylee, and Jude, who usually love it!

6) Opinionated. Especially about clothing. I gave up trying to dress you a very long time ago.  When you find something you like to wear, it is not surprising to see it six out of seven days a week. You were this way with your pink Beatles Tshirt (a mighty fine shirt I must admit), and various other outfits.  And you HATE when I tell you that you are "cute." Sorry I say it so often... but you really are.

I hope you have a wonderful fifth birthday today and that your party tomorrow is everything you have been wishing for.  I love you all the way to God and Jesus and back.

Love, Mommy

0 comments:

Post a Comment

{playing for change}

Search This Blog

{protect your karma!}

All images and content of this site belong to Tracy Genovese Robinson and {doe•ee•bird} photography and are protected under the federal copyright laws. It is unlawful to copy or reproduce images without written permission from the photographer.
And it's totally bad karma.

{pricing}

Pricing adjustments will be in effect effective March 15. Any 2010 sessions booked prior to March 15 will be grandfathered into current prices.

Networked Blogs

  © Blog Designed byExpressive Style Graphics

Back to TOP